Friday, July 6, 2007

Impetus and Rejection

For the past few years, I have been developing some ideas, concepts, and methodologies related to polymer clay that I have wanted to share. I've been holding out for a few reasons: namely, lack of time and resources, the need for further development, and also the need for a appropriate venue for publication.

Recently, the National Polymer Clay Guild issued a "Call for Proposals" to give seminars at their 2008 Synergy Conference. I was drawn to the seminar/lecture format that they are planning because it would seem to be an ideal format for sharing polyclayology. So, the "Call for Proposals" got the ball of impetus rolling for me and I was able to organize and outline some of the material that I had collected while I created two proposals.

My proposals
were, however, summarily rejected by the NPCG's jurying committee.

Admittedly, I languished in defeat and despair for a few interminable moments... Not so much because of the rejection itself, but for the ball of impetus that had instantaneously screeched to a halt. But after the initial impact, the impetus soon picked up momentum again until I could no longer ignore it in excuse of rejection. So what do I do now?

Well, I could wait around in hopes that some day a Polymer Clay Manifesto of sorts will be gathered and published posthumously in my name. (Now, there's a plan!)

Or, I could utilize the impetus to blog about it for a while... If nothing else, it should provide a platform for further development and a groundwork of literary material. And on the plus side, I'm now freed from the pressures of a looming deadline!

So, thanks to impetus and rejection, here I am.

My tentative plan is to begin at the beginning, work from the material and existing outlines that I already have lined-up, and see where it leads from there . . .